Fashion, News

Boohoo faces backlash for objectifying women after “send nudes” advert

0 1468

By Amber Bogumil


The fashion retailer Boohoo has been struck with controversy after their one of their recent clothing adverts was banned for objectifying women by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).

The advert featured a woman wearing beige clothing with the phrase “send nudes. Set the tone with new season hues” and an eyes emoji written across the model’s photo. The image had been sent out via email to its subscribed customers to advertise it’s deal on 50% off all clothing.

Send nudes” became a popular meme on social media in 2017 after people began mocking the act of being asked for explicit photos. It is thought that this is why Boohoo used the phrase – to promote their clothing line with a comical phrase which most social media users would understand.

However, it hasn’t been taken lightly. In the report by the ASA, they declared the advert to be “socially irresponsible” and said the phrase had an effect to highlight a “potentially harmful social trend.” It was also suggested in the report that the advert promoted an action that could be seen as “sexual harassment”.

The controversy comes after competitor Miss Guided also had an advert banned in summer under similar circumstances. The fashion brand released a video advert that the ASA claimed to “over-sexualise” women, featuring the slogan “we’ve got you covered.. kind of” and showed models wearing minimal clothing.

Boohoo’s original response to their ASA report was to express how only people over the age of 18 have access to email subscriptions, suggesting they would understand the play on words. However, they also acknowledged that their audience consisted of people between the ages of 16-24. The ASA argued that many young people are known to lie about their age and the advert could, therefore, reach anybody.

Boohoo has since removed the advert and said they would make sure their adverts were “socially responsible” in future.

About the author / 

aAh!

aAh! Magazine is Manchester Metropolitan University's arts and culture magazine.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More News Stories:

  • A Mural for Mani – Manchester music legend to be immortalised with mural in his hometown

    Following the passing of iconic Stone Roses and Primal Scream Bassist Gary ‘Mani’ Mountfield, there have been growing calls for him to be immortalised in a way that reflects both his cultural impact and the deep affection shared between the musician and his home city. GRIT Studios has answered the calls from fans, announcing plans…

  • London Fashion Week A/W 2026: The new designers shaping tomorrow

    Featured image: Evie Peattie  Often overshadowed in popular narratives by the heritage houses of Paris or Milan, London’s fashion ecosystem has long traded on creative freedom. As London Fashion Week prepares for its 42nd year, running from the 19 to 23 February, the British capital is poised to reaffirm its reputation not simply as a…

  • “It’s easy to lose yourself to this music”: Deptford Northern Soul club lead new wave of Northern Soul

    Featured image: Sebastian Garraway Beats vibrate through a polished floor. Bodies move with a swinging grace, surrendering to the rhythm without hesitation. An instinctual sliding jig sways wide-legged jeans cut just above the ankle. Sweat drips from sharp scissor-cut hairstyles onto porous Fred Perry polos. You’ve guessed it: Northern Soul. The late 1960s phenomenon is…

  • Harry is Home: From the BRITs to a Manchester one-night-only show – everything to know about Harry Styles’ return

    Featured image: Evangeline Causton  Local lad Harry Styles will take to the stage at Manchester’s Co-op Live for the city’s first-ever Brit Awards, before returning for his one-night-only show on March 6 to celebrate the arrival of his fourth album, Kiss All The Time. Disco, Occasionally. When cryptic billboards bearing the words “WE BELONG TOGETHER” appeared across Manchester city…