Fashion, News

Boohoo faces backlash for objectifying women after “send nudes” advert

0 1513

By Amber Bogumil


The fashion retailer Boohoo has been struck with controversy after their one of their recent clothing adverts was banned for objectifying women by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).

The advert featured a woman wearing beige clothing with the phrase “send nudes. Set the tone with new season hues” and an eyes emoji written across the model’s photo. The image had been sent out via email to its subscribed customers to advertise it’s deal on 50% off all clothing.

Send nudes” became a popular meme on social media in 2017 after people began mocking the act of being asked for explicit photos. It is thought that this is why Boohoo used the phrase – to promote their clothing line with a comical phrase which most social media users would understand.

However, it hasn’t been taken lightly. In the report by the ASA, they declared the advert to be “socially irresponsible” and said the phrase had an effect to highlight a “potentially harmful social trend.” It was also suggested in the report that the advert promoted an action that could be seen as “sexual harassment”.

The controversy comes after competitor Miss Guided also had an advert banned in summer under similar circumstances. The fashion brand released a video advert that the ASA claimed to “over-sexualise” women, featuring the slogan “we’ve got you covered.. kind of” and showed models wearing minimal clothing.

Boohoo’s original response to their ASA report was to express how only people over the age of 18 have access to email subscriptions, suggesting they would understand the play on words. However, they also acknowledged that their audience consisted of people between the ages of 16-24. The ASA argued that many young people are known to lie about their age and the advert could, therefore, reach anybody.

Boohoo has since removed the advert and said they would make sure their adverts were “socially responsible” in future.

About the author / 

aAh!

aAh! Magazine is Manchester Metropolitan University's arts and culture magazine.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More News Stories:

  • Manchester Writing School Summer Festival 2026: Celebrating creativity, community and new voices

    Featured image and gallery: Hoang Phan Notebooks were carried from one workshop to another. Writers from different generations sat around tables, sharing manuscripts and listening to each other. Outdoors, small groups strolled along Oxford Road, pausing before buildings steeped in literary history. This was the scene during the Manchester Writing School Summer Festival 2026, held…

  • Bloodstock 2026: Sunday review- 25 years of circle pits

    Featured image: Katja Ogrin With many sore heads and limbs this morning after the most hardcore day of the festival taking place yesterday, many are recovering from the moshing and pit brutality of the previous day’s antics. As the tradition of a morning movie in the Serpents Lair prevails, the crowd sprawls out onto the plush,…

  • Bloodstock 2026: Saturday review – Breaking the circle pit rule

    Featured image: Abbi Draper After an electrifying start to the weekend, with temperatures slowly climbing, many lather themselves in suncream, shed their band shirts and rise from their tents to trek towards the arena. Saturday has big things incoming for the humans of Bloodstock 2026. Some pace themselves for the day and hide from the early…

  • Bloodstock 2026: Friday review – Lamb of God reminds us ‘This is an Invitation’

    Featured image: Abbi Draper After a memorable Thursday opener, Bloodstock 2026 opens its gates once again onto the Hallowed Grounds of Catton Park, kicking off day two of its 25th-anniversary celebration of metal. As the sun rises on Catton Park, festivalgoers emerge from their tents to prepare for another day of mayhem. The morning brings…