News

Bring Back Our Girls- Seven Months On

0 160

14149249213_76044a6067_b

By Ellis Mallet

It’s been a quiet seven months since the disappearance of the Chibok school girls who were kidnapped from a school in Nigeria by the Jihadist terrorist organization Boko Haram in April 2014. In the last few days, the Nigerian government announced a sudden ceasefire with the Islamist militants agreeing that at least two hundred of the girls, if not all, are safe and will be released within the next few weeks with one final meeting said to be planned.

The incident raised massive concerns and was brought to global attention with the likes of Michelle Obama, William Hague and Cara Delevingne backing the campaign and demonstrations being led worldwide, as well as generating mass social media support with the “Bring Back Our Girls” campaign. However, it is questionable how much attention the Nigerian government didn’t pay to the case and have they been largely criticised for their lack of support and determination to free the 223 school girls, particularly over why an agreement has only been made seven months subsequent to the kidnap.

In Chibok and elsewhere, it was believed to a large extent that the government had quite simply closed the book on the affair with rumours that the girls had already been sold as “bush wives” or alternatively raped and impregnated by members of Boko Haram. This is hardly a surprising as since 2010, Boko Haram (of whom oppose the westernisation of Nigeria) have targeted schools, churches, federal government colleges and military barracks resulting in over four thousand deaths. Additionally, since the kidnapping of the girls in April the militants have carried out at least nine major gun and bomb attacks furthering the death toll to over five thousand citizens.

In response to the criticism received, the government stated that there were more important priorities to be discussed than that of an “unconfirmed abduction”, such as the direct threat to the Economic Forum – an event crucial to attracting foreign investment. A presidential aide stated “Our security people had a choice between dealing with a direct threat to the economic forum, which was a showpiece event for our country’s future, or what was at the time entirely unconfirmed reports of an abduction. Maybe our response to the kidnapping could have been better, but people need to realise that we had a lot to deal with at that particular time, and they prioritised the clear and present threat”.

Speaking to the BBC, Nigerian government spokesman Mike Omeri said “Boko Haram would not be given territory under the ceasefire agreement – and that the government would not reveal what concessions it would make.”

Ellis Mallet is a first year History/International Politics student at MMU . He is interested in current affairs, music & culture/travel and aims to become a journalist after university. He also contributes to a website called Social Student.

About the author / 

aAh!

aAh! Magazine is Manchester Metropolitan University's arts and culture magazine.

No Comments

  1. Rv 19th November 2014 at 9:30 pm -  Reply

    Great write up.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More News Stories:

  • Manchester Writing School Summer Festival 2026: Celebrating creativity, community and new voices

    Featured image and gallery: Hoang Phan Notebooks were carried from one workshop to another. Writers from different generations sat around tables, sharing manuscripts and listening to each other. Outdoors, small groups strolled along Oxford Road, pausing before buildings steeped in literary history. This was the scene during the Manchester Writing School Summer Festival 2026, held…

  • Bloodstock 2026: Sunday review- 25 years of circle pits

    Featured image: Katja Ogrin With many sore heads and limbs this morning after the most hardcore day of the festival taking place yesterday, many are recovering from the moshing and pit brutality of the previous day’s antics. As the tradition of a morning movie in the Serpents Lair prevails, the crowd sprawls out onto the plush,…

  • Bloodstock 2026: Saturday review – Breaking the circle pit rule

    Featured image: Abbi Draper After an electrifying start to the weekend, with temperatures slowly climbing, many lather themselves in suncream, shed their band shirts and rise from their tents to trek towards the arena. Saturday has big things incoming for the humans of Bloodstock 2026. Some pace themselves for the day and hide from the early…

  • Bloodstock 2026: Friday review – Lamb of God reminds us ‘This is an Invitation’

    Featured image: Abbi Draper After a memorable Thursday opener, Bloodstock 2026 opens its gates once again onto the Hallowed Grounds of Catton Park, kicking off day two of its 25th-anniversary celebration of metal. As the sun rises on Catton Park, festivalgoers emerge from their tents to prepare for another day of mayhem. The morning brings…